10:15-12 noon (doors close by 10:10)
Wischemann Hall in SEBASTOPOL
460 Morris Street, next to the Community Center Annex
Body Prayer is a facilitated event devoted to inquiry into embodied consciousness through movement, offered every Sunday morning, and led by zuza or another teacher. It is usually attended by a large, vibrant, & diverse bunch of welcoming and friendly people, some of whom have practiced Soul Motion for years, while some ~ never before.
Guidance and structure are part of every week’s class as we travel across the four landscapes of Soul Motion: DanceIntimate (solo), DanceCommunion (duet), DanceCommunity (ensemble) and DanceInfinite (prayer space). Practices, structures, and points of view are offered to facilitate the journey. Participants are invited to travel across all landscapes, not just their favorite one: dancing by oneself, in duet, in ensemble with several people and eventually the whole room, or witnessing in stillness the beauty of another’s or of everyone’s dance.
We move to an eclectic mix of music from classical to experimental, including sacred chant, world beat, rock and roll, opera remixes, jazz and contemporary electronica. Music arrangements do not follow a wave pattern and are not specifically designed for energy release; rather they are in-out-in-out sequences to invite awareness and presence in the moment. Slow passages are often included as well as passages with no music.
As an awareness practice, conscious movement is a vehicle for self-discovery, inner development, and a deeper communion with others and the world. Sometimes this requires taking risks and facing the challenges that may come up in the process. Body Prayer offers a place to be safely uncomfortable as we experiment with ourselves and with each other in our awkward and magnificent dance at the edge of possibility.
Logistically speaking ...
- Body Prayer is open to any body over 15 willing to participate according to these agreements. First time beginners and mixed ability dancers, including those in wheelchairs, are always welcome.
- We begin together at 10:15. Doors open by 9:50 AM and close by 10:10. Please arrive a few minutes early and stay for the whole event.
- Take any verbal conversations off the dance floor to allow yourself and others the rare pleasure of nonverbal communion.
- Avoid wearing perfume, lotion, or essential oils so those who are sensitive to scents can dance with us too.
- To care for our beautiful floor, please no street shoes on the dance floor.
- When you come for the first time, pick up the “Etiquette” flyer to read more... And then exhale, relax, and, sweet one, be wise ~ cast all your votes for Dancing!